OPEN CALL: Handmade Music
In het kader van het Patterns + Pleasure festival, dat op 26, 27 en 28 september plaats vindt in Amsterdam, is STEIM op zoek naar nieuw en onontdekt talent. Nu weten we –middels de recente lezersenquête– dat er nogal wat creatief talent verscholen gaat tussen de gelederen van de Gonzo (circus) lezers. De volgende oproep willen we je dan ook zeker niet onthouden:
Attention, makers of things that make music!Be part of an open laboratory, a science fair-style show and tell of work. We want to see your creations, including but not limited to:
- Custom circuitry
- New custom synthesizers
- Creative controllers
- Open source hardware and software
- Audiovisual software
- Original acoustic and electroacoustic instruments
- Sound art/sculpture
- Circuit-bent designs
- Instruments and composition and performance tools made with game technology, mobile technology, Kinect cameras, and the likeThe essential element is that you’ve built something yourself, in hardware, software, or both.
Please be prepared to show a self-contained presentation of your work. Some display/projection and amplification will be available, but we encourage you to bring your own displays and speakers if you can.
We will setup works for show-and-tell style exploration, as well as brief (5-minute demos) and short (5-10-minute), variety style performances and jams. We’ll also lead a discussion with artists and engineers, and encourage you to meet other makers and exchange ideas and techniques.
We are unfortunately unable to provide expenses for travel, so you will need to provide your own transportation to and lodging in Amsterdam. All projects will be covered on createdigitalmusic.com.
To apply please submit:
1. Your name, as you’d like it to be listed
2. Your project name
3. If applicable, a link to a project site
4. Photos of your project (a link to Flickr, Picasa, blogs, etc. is fine)
5. (Mandatory) Video and or audio documentation of your project in action (Vimeo, YouTube, SoundCloud, etc.)
6. Space requirements
7. Technical requirements (power / audio / safety concerns if applicable)
8. A brief description (two sentences is fine) of your project.
9. If you wish to propose a performance, please describe in short how you perform with your tool.
10. Your contact information, so we may respond
The submission form is available online here:
We prefer to capture information on the submission form, but if you have difficulty with it, please email firstname.lastname@example.org directly with the subject ‘STEIM HANDMADE MUSIC’